Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is expected to announce her run for president in the coming weeks, sources familiar tell ABC News.
The announcement is likely to come mid-February, and invitations are expected to be sent to her supporters in the coming days, according to sources familiar.
On Wednesday, Haley touted a “special announcement” on Feb. 15, according to the event description online.
“My family and I have a big announcement to share with you,” she wrote on Twitter, adding, “And yes, it’s definitely going to be a Great Day in South Carolina!”
Haley, who served as one of former President Donald Trump’s U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, previously said she would not run against Trump.
“I would not run if President Trump ran, and I would talk to him about it,” Haley told the Associated Press in 2021.
She has since backed away from those comments, calling for a “new generation” of leadership.
“It is time for the fact that we really start to take our country back. We cannot have another term of Joe Biden, and we have to remember, too, we have lost the last seven out of eight popular votes for president,” she told Fox News’ Sean Hannity late last month. “It is time that we get a Republican in there that can lead and that can win a general election.”
On social media, Haley has focused on issues including abortion restrictions, crime rates and the threat from China.
Just days ago, Trump told reporters he recently received a phone call from Haley. “She called me and said she’d like consider it and I said you should do it,” he said over the weekend.
Haley’s team declined to comment on the record.
ABC News’ Brittany Shepherd contributed to this report.